top of page

Travelling To France

We look forward to welcoming you at Barn View


Please find below information on what you need to travel to France.

Check a passport for travel to Europe

Use this service to check if you need to renew your passport before travelling to Europe.

Check a passport for travel to Europe - GOV.UK (

Taking meat and dairy products into the EU

You cannot take the following with you into the EU:

  • meat or products containing meat

  • milk or dairy products

  • This will include boilies ( because they contain restricted products, and are a food source for fish.)

There are some exceptions, for example, certain amounts of powdered infant milk, infant food, or pet food required for medical reasons.

Check the rules about taking meat and milk products into the EU on the European Commission website.

Taking fruits, vegetables, plants and plant products into the EU

You cannot take the following into the EU unless you pay to have them inspected before you leave and get a ‘phytosanitary certificate’:

  • fresh fruit (apart from bananas, coconuts, dates, pineapples and durians)

  • vegetables

  • plants

  • plant products

Check the rules about taking fruit, vegetables and other plants or plant products into the EU on the European Commission website.

Driving abroad on holiday

Driving abroad - GOV.UK (

You need to take your Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence with you to drive abroad. Check yours is still valid and renew your driving licence online if it’s expired or about to expire. You’ll need to apply to renew your licence at least a week before you travel.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you also need to take your logbook (V5C) and your insurance certificate.

If you’re taking a vehicle abroad that you’ve hired or leased in the UK, you’ll need a VE103 certificate.

Check if you need an international driving permit (IDP)

You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries. Check if you need an IDP.

You can get IDPs over the counter at the Post Office. You might need one for each country you’re visiting.

Do not apply for an IDP if you’re moving abroad. You’ll need to either exchange your UK licence or apply for a new one in the country you’re moving to.

Check the overseas driving rules

Make sure you follow overseas driving rules, including local speed limits and drink driving laws. You may be breaking the law and get a fine if you do not.

Depending on the country you’re visiting you may need:

  • extra equipment - for example, you need a reflective jacket and a warning triangle in many countries

  • emission stickers (permits) in some European cities - you may need to buy these weeks before you go abroad

  • headlight converter stickers

  • a GB sticker

If you’re hiring a car, it’s your responsibility to check you have the equipment you need.

Check what you need to do if you’re driving in the EU.

Check the travel advice for all countries.

Check your insurance if you’re taking your own vehicle

Your UK vehicle insurance gives you a minimum of third party cover to drive your vehicle in EU countries. Check with your insurer if your policy covers extra things like theft or damage.

You need to carry a physical copy of a ‘green card’ for your vehicle if you’re driving in:

  • the EU (including Ireland)

  • Andorra

  • Iceland

  • Liechtenstein

  • Norway

  • Serbia

  • Switzerland

In other countries, you may need additional insurance and a green card to show you’re covered. Check the travel advice for the country you’re driving in.

Towing your trailer or caravan abroad

Check if you need to register your trailer before you can take it abroad.

When driving in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland, you need to carry a separate green card for both:

  • the vehicle you’re driving

  • the trailer or caravan you’re towing

In other countries, you may need additional insurance and a green card for each trailer or caravan you tow. Check what you need to bring with your insurer before you travel.

Hiring a car abroad

Your hire company may ask to see your driving licence information when you pick up the car. You can share this by getting a licence ‘check code’. You can do this up to 21 days before your trip.

If you’re hiring a car, insurance is included. Check what you’re covered for with the hiring company.

Foreign travel insurance

Wherever you’re travelling, it's important to take out appropriate travel insurance before you go.

Travel to the EU -Health Insurance

 If you are travelling to the EU, you can apply for a free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If you already have an EHIC it will still be valid as long as it remains in date. A GHIC or EHIC gives you the right to access emergency state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in those countries.

Check for the latest information on GHIC or EHIC online, or by phone on 0300 330 1350.

Remember that a GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. EHIC is not valid on cruises.

You should make sure your travel insurance covers your healthcare needs.

When taking out travel insurance you should also check:

  • the level of healthcare cover it includes

  • the travel disruption cover it includes

  • the terms and conditions

Contact your insurer if you have any questions about your travel cover.

bottom of page